Installation of basement siding: installation features
The final stage in the construction of buildings is their exterior decoration, during which each structural element must not only be beautifully decorated, but also protected from the negative impact of the environment. In this case, special attention should be paid to the facing of the basement, it is the main part of the building and is located on the ground itself, therefore it is subjected to the maximum mechanical stress and the influence of weather conditions. Today, the most popular material for finishing the basement is considered to be siding, as it is inexpensive and has many positive qualities.
What it is?
The socle siding is a modern type of cladding material that reliably protects the architectural structure from fungal plaque, high humidity and various types of damage. In addition, this finish is an original decoration of the outer part of the building.Siding is made in the form of extruded or cast panels, which are similar in appearance to natural materials. For the manufacture of products using various raw materials and unique technologies, thanks to this decorative panels are characterized by excellent quality and provide a base durability.
Siding is mass-produced, so its dimensions depend on the model range of each manufacturer. As a rule, one series consists of several types of panels having the same texture, but different color gamut. Therefore, with the help of this material it is possible to translate into reality any design idea and it is interesting to design the structure, giving it an individual style. The panels can be cladding as private houses, and other types of buildings. Installing the product is easy, so even a novice master can handle it.
The huge demand for siding is due to its performance characteristics. The material has successfully proven itself in the market, as it has many positive qualities. The panels are made from different raw materials, so each of their types, depending on the components, has its own properties.The most popular in the decoration is the metal version of the siding, it is made of galvanized steel, which is covered with a special protective film. Metal panels they do not rot and rust, well withstand mechanical loads, but their thickness makes the material heavy, and this complicates the process of transportation and installation.
Not inferior in quality and acrylic siding, it is made of modern polymers, so the product can withstand temperature changes and humidity. The only drawback of the material is the complexity of the installation, since the slightest inaccuracy in the installation can cause displacement of the panels, and chips will appear on their surface. In addition, this siding is resistant to chemical solutions, so it is expensive. An alternative option for acrylic siding is vinyl. It is made in the form of horizontal and vertical panels, the material is affordable, durable, but unstable to mechanical damage and requires special installation technology.
Looks beautiful in modern design. fiber cement siding, its panels are made in a wide choice of colors and textures.Panels can imitate brick and natural stone. The product is made of cement, reinforcing fibers and mineral fillers, which are pressed into a monolithic panel during production. Such siding is durable, has a flexible structure and is resistant to fire. But despite the positive benefits, fiber cement panels are quite fragile and are easily cracked or chipped.
In order for the building after finishing to get an unusual look, the designers choose the wood siding. The panels are made of high-quality polymers and compressed wood, so the external product is difficult to distinguish from the natural material. Unlike previous types of siding, wood is much longer and is not prone to chipping. The panels are available in various sizes and thicknesses, have a rich selection of colors, so they fit perfectly into any style of the architectural structure. The main disadvantage of the material is its high price, but if you buy siding from artificial materials, it will be inexpensive.
Front panels are an indispensable material for the decoration of the basement.Since every year the demand for them grows, manufacturers are constantly trying to replenish the market with novelties. To date, a huge range of panels is presented not only domestic but also foreign trademarks. Rating of well-known manufacturers led several companies:
- Docke This is a joint holding of Germany - Russia. The company's products are characterized by high strength and beautiful texture, thanks to which the material ideally imitates decorative stone, brick and sandstone. The special production technology makes the product reliable in operation, such a finish can last up to 50 years, retaining its original properties.
- Alta Profile. This is a Russian brand that has filled the market with an excellent collection of siding. Special attention should be paid to panels decorated with themes dedicated to Altai, the Caucasus, the Alps and Tibet. The material is also available with imitation bricks and more than five types of stones.
- Canada Ridge. Under this brand, high-quality decorative panels are produced, having the texture of small and large stones, bricks, slate and rocky debris.Unusual shades of siding allow you to expand design ideas and stylishly decorate any building. In addition, such lining reliably protects the base from the external influence of nature.
- Nordside. The products of this company has successfully recommended itself all over the world, as it is characterized by positive operational properties and is available in various colors. There are panels with both attached and not attached seams. Due to the high quality of the panels, the base can reliably last up to 50 years. Siding with imitation of natural stone and brickwork deserves special attention in the company's collections.
- Exteria. The American manufacturer presented its product not only in the form of traditional siding, but also produced unique panels with the texture of cut stone and natural cedar. Brick panels have a rough surface and look unique. Thanks to a special painting technology, it is difficult to distinguish a drawing from a real material.
Calculation of the amount of material
Before you install the basement siding, you need to correctly calculate the required number of panels.For this, the perimeter of the surface to be trimmed is measured and the type of the finishing material is determined, since it can have different sizes. The foundation can be sheathed with vinyl siding, the length of the panels is from 2.5 to 4.0 m and a width of 20-30 cm. Metal siding will be a good option, its length varies from 50 cm to 6 m, and the width depends on the profile height and does not exceed 3 cm As for fiber cement panels, they are standardly available in length from 3 to 3.6 m and have a maximum width of 30 cm.
To calculate the material, the obtained indicator of the surface perimeter is divided by the average length of the panels (0.9). As a result, the number of elements for one row is determined. Then it is necessary to calculate the number of rows themselves, taking into account the width of the panels and the height of the foundation. In the event that the finishing will be carried out in two rows, then the number of parts is multiplied by two and the total material consumption is obtained. It is also important to determine the required number of starting rails, for this the number of parts in one row should be divided into two.
During the plating of the basement will be installed and ebb. Since their average length is 2 meters, the perimeter of the building is conventionally divided into two.The final result is the number of parts, but it is worth considering that when installing their useful length will be 1.95 m.
Finishing the basement siding, like any other type of construction work, begins with the preparation of the foundation. But the main difference of this covering is that the surface does not have to be leveled and plastering. Therefore, the finish is ideal for decorating old houses from shingles or adobe. In this case, it will be sufficient to check the condition of the base, and if there are protruding protrusions on its cover, they should be removed. Then you need to calculate all the components and create a crate or frame on which the panels will be mounted.
It is desirable to make the crate of metal profiles, they are much stronger than wooden bars, and they do not need to be covered with special impregnation. The first profile is fixed at a distance of 5-10 cm from the ground, if there is a concrete pavement around the building, then the profiles can be installed directly from it. As for the distance of the frame from the wall, it can be different, because it depends on the type of installation, if insulation is planned to be laid between the basement and the siding, it is important to take into account the thickness of the insulation.For simple installation without insulation, the crate is simply fixed in a grid, placing the profiles perpendicular and parallel. Usually the squares of the crates are made in the size of 50x50 cm.
Siding has a special design, so it can only be mounted vertically. The panels are not installed horizontally, and if the foundation has protrusions beyond the plane of the facade, then ebbs are attached to them. Sheathing plinth decorative panels is easy, so everyone can do it by hand. A simple instruction will help beginners to complete the technical task:
- Installation of siding is carried out on a wooden or profile frame with screws. The wooden frame before finishing the building is treated with a hydrophobic composition and antiseptic, so it is best to use steel profiles for the sheathing of the batten. First, the first row of panels is fixed to the crate, they are mounted in a special groove of the starting plate. Work needs to be done from left to right. The upper rows are fixed to the lower with self-latched locks.
- Then you need to form the corners. To do this, the extreme panels are cut, leaving a small gap and fasten the corners.At the same time fasteners should not go into the frame by more than 1.1 cm. Siding should be carefully fastened, trying not to tighten the panel too much.
- At the end of the edge of the cladding close the finishing bar. In that case, if the facade and the basement are located on the same plane, then the finishing bar at the same time becomes the starting facade.
The basement of the building is considered to be one of the main elements of the structure, therefore, the issue of its finishing should be treated responsibly, choosing high-quality material and adhering to the installation of all technologies. Recently, many masters prefer siding for plinth trimming, as this is the best option for exterior work: it is cheap and has positive reviews. In order for the plating of the basement to be made with high quality, you need to pay attention to some nuances:
- When buying a material, it is important to check its quality. If the product has the same shade from both the inside and the outside, then it can be purchased. Often there are cheap product options, the back side of which is lighter, they must be abandoned. This applies to control the thickness of the panels, it must be the same everywhere.In that case, if the material does not meet the indicators specified by the manufacturer, has noticeable defects, it is not suitable for installation.
- In order to trim the basement in harmony with the general appearance of the building, it is necessary to choose the right color and texture of siding. Recently, classic design options are in vogue, when the facade is made light, and the roof and basement are dark. In addition, the siding should be beautifully combined with the finishing of the building. You can also decorate the base, roof and facade in one color, but with different shades. It is desirable for the design to choose warm colors, so the building will look monolithic and stylish.
- Installation of panels must be carried out according to the technologies inherent in each type of siding. Since the slightest inaccuracy can spoil the finish, and the coating will not last long.
- Many types of siding are not resistant to mechanical damage, so when installing them it is worth considering, and carry out the mount carefully.
On the features of the installation of basement siding, see the following video.