Summer chicken coop: drawings and construction process
In our time, many farmers are engaged in the maintenance and breeding of poultry. Before purchasing such living creatures, it is necessary to prepare high-quality “housing” for it, in which it will be both comfortable and safe. You can build such a structure yourself. Let us consider in detail how to do it correctly.
Requirements for construction
If you decide to build a high-quality chicken coop on your own plot, you first need to familiarize yourself with a number of requirements that such a structure must meet. Only if this condition is met, you will have a really reliable house, in which the chickens will be comfortable.
- It is extremely important to provide the chicken coop with reliable protection against the penetration of other predatory animals. To this end, hen sheds are equipped with various fences, and also they close up all the existing slots, so that they do not become a convenient place for other living creatures.
- In the summer house must be present high-quality ventilation. In addition, in such constructions it must be possible to air to maintain the optimum temperature. In too hot and stuffy conditions, the hens will not be very comfortable, which will negatively affect their egg production.
- A very important requirement is the absence of drafts in the house. Only with the observance of this rule it will be possible to avoid various diseases of layers (some of them are cured for a very long and difficult time). In addition, the room in which there are no drafts, is ideal for such domestic living creatures.
- Thermal insulation is also necessary, but not always. If the chicken coop is a summer one, then you can do without such an addition, especially if you live in a comfortable or hot climate.
- Good lighting should be present in the house.Moreover, this category includes both natural and artificial light. Without such components, chicken production can significantly decrease.
- The laying shed should be in a quiet and peaceful place. Do not build such facilities near roads and other noisy objects. Chickens love peace and quiet, and extraneous sounds can lead to their chronic anxiety, which will negatively affect their egg production and overall health.
Before proceeding to the independent construction of a high-quality poultry house, it is extremely important to correctly draw up a detailed drawing of it. It should indicate all the dimensional and structural parameters of the future construction. You also need to take into account at this stage and how many chickens you will contain. From the number of goals will depend on the size of the building. Consider a few examples of drawings of such erections for different numbers of layers.
- For 10 chickens You can build a small house with a flat sloping roof. On the highest wall should be placed a long wooden door, and next to it is a small window. Further, this structure should contain a fenced territory for walking.Its best to close the mesh fence.
- For 5 layers You can make a small summer shed of a triangular shape with a simple gable roof of the rolled material. The slant of wooden bases in this design can reach only 30 degrees, and the width of the upper part - 813 mm. In such an environment a small number of chickens will be very convenient.
- For 20 hens need a pen a little more. To do this, you can build a wooden house with a gable roof, combined with the area allotted for walking the birds and fenced mesh. The width of the walking area can reach 95 cm, and the length - 98 cm. The length of the house itself in this case can be 88 cm and 100 cm in height.
Selection of materials
Before building a strong summer house, you need to correctly select all the necessary materials. The choice of suitable building materials will depend on the durability and reliability of the future construction. Bird dwellings are recommended to be made of planks. This building material is absolutely safe, environmentally friendly and durable. It does not contain harmful compounds that can harm a person or an animal.Such structures usually do not have to be further insulated, because these materials themselves are recognized as quite heat-intensive. However, it should be borne in mind that the walls in the house of the boards should have an optimal thickness of at least 20 cm.
If you want to build a capital structure, then it is permissible to turn to such building materials as brick. Such erections differ in reliability and durability, but additional warming is also required. Without it, inside the chicken coop will always be cold, especially if the weather is bad outside. Often brick buildings inside are lined with boards to create more favorable conditions for the chickens to live. For the manufacture of a bird shed it is forbidden to acquire sheet iron, since it is very heated under the action of sunlight. In such an environment, laying hens would be extremely uncomfortable.
How to build?
Coop for summer use really make yourself. When carrying out all the required work, it is important to rely on simple instructions and use high-quality materials. Of course, this should take into account all the requirements that apply to such outbuildings. Consider step by step how to make a summer chicken house.
The first step is to prepare the foundation for future construction. Of course, when it comes to a summer product, there is no need to carry out such installation work, however, they will not be superfluous. Basically, during the construction of houses for laying hens, a ribbon or column foundation is made. Whichever option you choose, in any case you will need to prepare a high-quality concrete solution, cement composition or brick.
The tape basis is made so.
- First, the area selected for the construction of the barn will need to be cleaned of any litter, and then removed from the upper layer (about 25-30 cm).
- Next, you need to dig a hole. Its depth should reach about 30 cm.
- After this, put a pillow of gravel and sand at the bottom of the pit.
- The next step will be the construction of formwork. To do this, select the appropriate board. The formwork width parameter should be about 25 cm.
- Place a waterproofing layer under the formwork, for example, roofing felt.
- Carry out reinforcement with bars.
- Now you can pour the foundation.
It is allowed to start building a wooden structure only after the foundation has completely dried out.Keep in mind that the dimensions of the prepared area should be suitable for the size of the planned chicken house. For the manufacture of the column foundation will first be required markup. Further along the perimeter of the proposed construction, pipes are driven in from the meter. Note that the support parts should not be more than 30 cm above ground level. Support details are additionally strengthened using cement mortar and crushed brick.
To install the floor, you must first install wooden logs. They are placed parallel to the smaller part of the structure. To do this, a board is attached to the bottom trim, the size of which is 10x5 cm. The step between the boards should be about 60 cm. Then sheet material is laid on the logs, which may be used to finish the walls. These canvases should be installed end-to-end. They need to be fixed with screws. Their cap should be flush mounted.
Now it is necessary to build the walls of the barn for chickens. Before construction it is recommended to prepare their detailed drawings and diagrams. Mostly the walls of the coop are made of wood. Other material bases are sheathed with the same material.Of course, you can turn to other building materials, but wood is considered optimal. When preparing the walls, try not to leave holes and crevices, because predators and cold air in case of bad weather can subsequently penetrate through them. In addition to boards, it is permissible to mount plywood sheets or straw. Often houses for layers are made from a special adobe brick. If you want to warm the wall bases, then minvat or clay mixed with straw is ideal for this.
Having completed the process of building walls, you should proceed to the manufacture of the second important foundation - the roof.
Preparation of the roof for the house has a number of features that are extremely important to consider.
- It is recommended to make a double-slope construction, because it has excellent protective properties and allows you to protect the interior of the structure from flowing wet precipitation.
- To decorate the roof of the chicken coop, you can use standard roofing materials. Most often, roofing material is used for this, slate or tile - the choice is yours.
- The roof needs additional thermal insulation.To this end, it is permissible to refer to such a popular material as the mineral wool or use chipboard sheets.
Designs with two slopes are different in that they have the ability to equip a compact attic. It is usually stored feed for birds and various devices needed in the care of them. Having mounted the installation of ceiling beams, you can proceed to the installation of flooring. In such cases, it is possible to use boards. Materials such as expanded clay or special coal slag are ideal for insulation.
Properly installed ventilation is an important component of a high-quality summer chicken coop. This system is responsible for bringing fresh air inside the shed. The cheapest and most affordable option is natural ventilation. It consists only in airing the erection. In this case, the window responsible for the hood, should have small dimensions and be above the door leaf or directly on the ceiling. Of course, this elementary scheme has quite a few drawbacks, because together with the air, heat will leave the space. A special exhaust type system has been recognized as more effective.It is recommended to mount it if there are at least 20 layers in the shed. It is possible to prepare a similar construction independently.
It is done this way.
- First, in the roofing material need to make holes for the installation of pipes. In addition, it is important to take into account the fact that the entrance for air movement should be set aside from the roost.
- The standard pipe can be replaced with special boxes made of boards, but such structures must be painted or puttyed.
- Tubes for the transfer of air masses should be located 20-40 cm from the roof. The exhaust pipe should be located approximately 1.5 m above the roof structure.
- For additional protection against water, the edges of the pipes are complemented with special small umbrellas.
To ensure optimal circulation, the windows in the hen’s barn should be installed on walls opposite to each other. In this case, use a special fan, which is installed in the window. Run this simple system will have to manually. In addition, there are special sensors that make it possible to keep under control the level of humidity inside the building.
To the internal arrangement of the summer hen house should be approached no less responsibly than to its independent construction. Often, this process takes quite a lot of free time.
It is better to rely on the following useful recommendations.
- Prepare for good hens. The diameter of these parts should reach about 3-4 cm. Between the individual poles should be maintained indentation of 35 cm.
- Quality nests can be made from scrap materials. For example, suitable old boxes or boxes.
- Feeders are recommended to be located in the most convenient places for chickens. One layer should be separated not less than 15 cm in length of the feeder.
- Place additional feed containers in the hen house. As a rule, they are fixed at 15 cm above the floor. In such places, gravel should always be poured. It is necessary for layers for good egg formation.
- Put in a barn for chickens special bath. To do this, you need to pick up a free container and fill it with sand, ash. Chickens love to take such baths, because it favorably affects the state of their plumage.
- We must take care of high-quality lighting. You should not take too bright light bulbs - they will annoy the birds. It is better to give preference to soft and warm light.
- If you notice any missing slots or holes in the constructed structure, you definitely need to get rid of them. Otherwise, the hens will not be safe - not only cold air, but also predatory “visitors” will be able to get to them.
A competently executed summer hen house will become not only a cozy and comfortable dwelling for feathered living creatures, but also a real decoration of the plot outside the city or in the country. Such facilities in most cases look great in the summer against the backdrop of well-groomed green grass.
So, a small house, painted yellow, with a brown-tinted gable roof and white windows, will look very aesthetically pleasing in tandem with a retracted mesh area, which has supporting wooden parts painted with white paint. Such a neat structure will look even more attractive if you arrange floral plantings next to it.
Beautifully look high wooden chicken coops, painted with rich red paint.Such an eye-catching color is often combined with white details — supporting elements, roof beams and supports at the bottom. The grid in the area for laying hens should also be bought white or painted in this color. The combination of red and white colors will look harmoniously against the background of neat green grass.
A high coop of red color on the supports covered with mesh will be complemented with dense roofing material, for example, with tiles of a central shade. Ahead of the construction should be put a small scarlet door. The result is a small, but very convenient barn for 5-10 hens. The main thing is to put in the bottom of such a structure the strongest lattice without cracks.
How to build a chicken coop with your own hands, see the next video.