The subtleties of the process of decorating the walls with wood
Wood cladding is one of the most desirable finishing options for creating interiors in various styles. This trend is provided by excellent operational and aesthetic qualities of wood, a huge variety of species with their inherent unique texture and natural shade. The presence in the market of building materials of various types of finishing boards, starting from the simplest lining and ending with chic carved panels, allows to satisfy every taste and at the same time find an affordable price option.
Wall cladding with a tree is increasingly used to translate design fantasies.The material allows you to create an interior in various styles and color, gives the atmosphere of the room coziness and comfort and at the same time is completely natural.
The uniqueness of the wood texture seems to be similar, but so varied even within the same breed makes the finish extraordinary and unlike any other material. In addition to beauty, wood has excellent performance properties, and the aromas of resins of some species are also good for health.
The decoration of the walls with wood has its own characteristics.
- Huge durability. In the conditions of dry premises, wooden decoration without problems and loss of aesthetic qualities will last for decades. In wet rooms, for example, in a bathroom, wood is used that has been pretreated with hydrophobic impregnations, which protect the material from moisture saturation, and as a result, from swelling and rotting. Another problem is termites and other parasites, but their appearance and reproduction in the inner rooms of the house is extremely unlikely.
- There are no special requirements for the finished surface.. Wood can cover uneven walls with cracks and other imperfections,at the same time to make any surface preparation, except for the elimination of very large, protruding defects, there is no need.
- The perfect surface. Wooden panels are able to align the surface of the wall to a perfect flatness and smoothness, giving the interior a hue of elegance and perfection.
- Excellent noise isolation. Wood perfectly absorbs and retains sound, which, in the presence of external noise, makes staying in the house more pleasant and comfortable. In addition, the outgoing sound level is reduced, so you can listen to music and watch movies loudly, hold parties and not spoil relations with your neighbors.
- Nice smell. Each breed exudes a unique specific flavor, in general, the smell of wood has a calming effect on the psyche and improves mood.
- High thermal insulation. For these indicators, wood cannot compare with polyurethane foam or mineral wool, but its level of thermal conductivity is 0.15 to 0.2 W / m³, which is 3 times less than red brick, 8–9 times less than that of concrete and 7– 8 times - than the glass.
- Natural climate control. High moisture absorption of wood allows it to absorb excess moisture in the air, and when it dries it evaporates it back.The main thing is that the humidity was not excessive and long.
- Wood in bright colors makes the room brighter, which is especially nice in winter days with low light activity.
- The tree is always in fashion. Making repairs using wooden panels, you can not be afraid of changes in trends in the field of interior decoration. Wood is a classic material and remains in trend for more than one hundred years.
- Absolute naturalness. Wood paneling is non-toxic, does not provoke allergies, does not harm health, does not emit heavy toxic substances when burning, for example, as polymeric materials.
- Wide selection. Each wood species has a unique texture and shade; moreover, even for beams from the same species, but the trees of different age can have a different pattern. Such a variety allows you to create an infinite number of combinations both between wooden elements from different breeds, and by adding wood panels to the decoration of a room with other materials.
- Price Variability. Depending on the rarity and quality of wood, its price also varies, but even inexpensive species, such as pine,they are an excellent finishing material capable of settling the “spirit of the forest” in the house; in addition, coniferous trees exude micro-particles of resins useful for health.
Also, wood trim has its weaknesses.
- Vulnerability to moisture. If the bathroom panels are treated with a hydrophobic solution, then the boards for other rooms are not. This finish is very vulnerable to high humidity and water, you need to clean with a dry cloth.
- Cyclic overlapping varnish. Substances that perform a surface protective function require regular updating - once every 3-5 years. Otherwise, the wood will begin to get dirty, moisture will freely fall into it, texture will be overwritten. To remove stains, for example, from wine that has penetrated into the fibers, is almost impossible.
Each room has a separate purpose and its design must be appropriate. Thus, the use of wood trim varies depending on the room.
The amount of wood in the decoration of this room is very variable, from the selection of the dining area by the accent wall to the full lining of the walls.
Light shades can be combined with a painted board in non-acidic green, yellow and red, because all the colors associated with food are suitable.
In the living room or for the study, wooden decoration is always appropriate and effective, and in addition, emphasizes the status of the owner in front of his guests. It can be either a classic style - boards, covered with dark varnish with carving in combination with parquet, and the Scandinavian style with powerful beams in bright colors, emphasizing the connection with nature. If Provence is chosen, then it is better to complement the wooden decoration with wooden furniture in pastel shades.
When using minimalism or hi-tech in the decoration of the living room, it is better to use non-thick calibrated boards, so as not to create the effect of massiveness, but to emphasize the peculiarities of the style. In eco-style can be used raw boards, preserving the bark, stumps instead of bedside tables and coffee tables, mount for a large TV in the form of branches and others. We should also single out the wall of saw cuts, a huge number of variants: boards sawn, unevenly protruding and forming different functional or decorative protrusions, round timber cuts, covering the wall like fish scales and others.
The best choice is the bright breeds that create a soft, cozy and relaxed atmosphere.To underline the naturalness, you can use matte varnish. By the number of wood panels, this can be either a complete wall covering, or a single wall, floor, or ceiling, depending on the specificity and saturation of the interior. The more minimalistic the design, the less frequently wooden inserts are used.
The paint can be used to both underline the texture, and to completely overlap the color and paint the wooden elements to match the color of the rest of the decor and decoration objects. It is worth painting in all the same soft colors: beige, pistachio, mustard and woody.
However, completely dark rocks should not be completely repainted or partially dissected with light colors.
Immediately it should be noted that the absolute naturalness of the material as there is nowhere appropriate in the nursery. It is possible not only finishing of walls and a ceiling, but also completely wooden furniture and other elements of a decor. Calm soft wood shades or dyeing their surfaces in bright expressive colors, symbolizing youth and energy of a kid, are perfect for a child's room.
Contrast combination of colors will also be interesting to the child.Do not do the interior in dark classic colors or modern high-tech style, it is better to stay on the Provence, Scandinavian or ecostyle.
The first thing to do is to stop at the choice of moisture-resistant wood species and be sure to be impregnated with a hydrophobic mixture. The walls, floor and ceiling can be completely covered with wood, so the bathroom looks like a bath.
It looks great underlining a snow-white bath with a strip equal to it in length from dark wood from floor to ceiling against a white tiled floor and similar white walls. Also in the bathroom, the combination of wood-walled walls and stone floors looks good.
Different types of wood finishing materials are used for wall finishing: wall paneling, block house, laminate and others. Each type has its own aesthetic specificity, and therefore fits into the interior, executed in a particular style. There are several common finishing materials with a characteristic style of use.
This is a standard material for covering walls and ceilings, which is often amenable to further finishing by painting, painting with varnish or stain.For giving originality it is better to stop on wide lamels. In the Scandinavian style is often used lining, painted in white. This simple solution can make the atmosphere of the room coziness and make it brighter and more welcoming.
Lining is used in the Scandinavian, rustic (Provence), eco and American-style interior. Sheathing antique or loft style do it yourself in a private house can be made with slats or bars.
The simplicity of this finishing material allows you to create geometric patterns with it, lay it out in various plain forms, paint it in the necessary colors and shades, make a basis for decorative works, for example, painting and similar options, even in aerated concrete construction.
The main thing is to choose a quality board with the appropriate features.. For example, smooth calibrated elements will perfectly fit into a minimalistic design, the main thing is not to overdo it with the quantity. Moss dark boards are perfect for a classic interior, and rough, with a clearly visible texture - for a Scandinavian or rural interior.The board is suitable for Scandinavian, rustic and eco-style, as well as minimalism and chalets.
This material is characterized by good stability and attractive appearance, often used for wall cladding in city apartments. The only problem is that it contains glue in its composition and can provoke allergy attacks.
Laminate flooring is suitable for repairs in a modern, eclectic style.
Oriented strand board
This material is characterized with a pronounced and extraordinary texture. It is well suited for all lovers of modern and avant-garde. Experiments with the form and color - this is the main direction in the use of this material. OSB differs in ease in processing and the low price.
The main problem is the content of synthetic substances that serve as a bonding agent for chips, they can provoke allergies. OSB is used in experimental variations of the Scandinavian and modern finishes.
This material is a fairly simple element from which you can create different patterns and geometric shapes.A wide variety of parquet colors allows you to create a unique interior with a creative idea at a reasonable price. It is used in modern and ecostyle, eclecticism and minimalism.
This option has an interesting vintage look. They can be used as elements executed in the old style of the past centuries, as well as modern format boards. It looks great combination of boards of different degrees of aging, with massive elements are arranged regularly, and small - occasionally, creating the original asymmetric shade. Aged board is used in vintage and Scandinavian style, as well as country, Provence and eco.
Butts and cuts
Covering the wall with scraps of boards and round timber creates an extraordinary and very stylish look. You can use elements of different lengths and sections, the forms are rectangular and round timber. Their multi-level placement opens up an almost limitless horizon for fantasy. The relief surface can be partially used functionally - strongly protruding boards will play the role of shelves.
This finish is used in the Scandinavian and eco-style, as well as country and chalets, but it can harmoniously fit into almost any style with a certain arrangement of elements.
This is a classic finishing material, which is often made to order according to specified dimensions, decorated with carvings or other finishing materials. The simplest versions are made of oak, more solid versions - of exotic species. The price of such panels is very high. Wall panels are an integral attribute of the classical style, chalet, English and American style of decoration, as well as art deco.
Following simple design ideas, you can give the interior a certain stylistic orientation. Such recommendations include the following:
- waxing wood contributes to the preservation of natural gloss and integrity of the material;
- the combination of aged wood and marble gives the interior the majesty of ancient palaces;
- firing of the wall panel according to the Japanese method gives the wood a new extraordinary look;
- contrasting combinations. Interesting is not only the combination of contrasting colors, but also styles, such as high-tech and eco-style, in which natural wood is combined with modern elements: metal or glass panels and inlays;
- wood brushing (artificial aging) followed by varnish opening gives the interiors, executed in various styles, a new extraordinary shade;
- the use of block-house elements in the decoration of walls visually increases the volume of the room.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Designers offer the following solutions:
- Creative and angry. The wall, trimmed with scraps of wooden planks, looks very original, some longer elements can serve as shelves, their number and placement is unlimited and is left to the discretion of taste. In addition, the material - this trim, which compares favorably low price.
- Monumentality and geometry. Large wooden panels, laid out in a different arrangement, create an elegant pattern of regular geometric shape. Behind them you can arrange built-in lockers, niches, safes and other objects, saving usable space without compromising the interior.
- Light and darkness. The combination of elements of dark and light color creates a stylish contrasting interior. With the help of various shades, certain areas are well distinguished, for example, a bed, creating the effect of separation within the same room.This technique is well complemented by lighting devices, illuminating not the whole room, but only separate zones.
For more information on wood wall decoration, see the following video.