The height of the desk: how to choose?
The selection of a comfortable desk should take into account not only its design and materials of manufacture, but also the height parameters. This characteristic is one of the most important, despite the fact that many consumers forget about it after finding the model they like. A desk of unsuitable height can lead to health problems, so it’s impossible not to pay attention to such a characteristic of furniture.
Users of all ages can spend most of the day at their desks. Such furniture can be used not only in home interiors, but also in offices. It is always convenient to work behind it, and, as a rule, on the tops of high-quality written constructions a largenumber of different items.
However, choosing such products, it is necessary to pay special attention to their height. And it doesn't matter at all whether you buy a table for an adult or a child.
In both cases, the furniture must be made of high quality so that the work behind it does not lead to problems with the spine.
One of the main parameters of these interior items is their height. If you buy a model that is too low or too high, then it will be very uncomfortable to stand behind it, and your posture may deteriorate badly. Often the work at these tables leads to annoying pain in the neck and lower back. If you sit at a desk at the wrong height long enough, then this can even lead to noticeable headaches that interfere with your work.
This parameter is equally important if you are looking for a table for a child’s room. A growing organism should not be placed in uncomfortable conditions even during homework or reading books.
As a rule, incorrectly chosen tables lead to the curvature of the spine of young users, with whom it is very difficult to fight.
Few people know, but today there is a special standard-system called "modulator", in accordance with which the standard parameters of absolutely all the furniture of today's production, including the height of desks, are revealed. This parameter plays one of the most important roles, because it primarily affects the position of the user sitting behind it.
Being behind an unnecessarily low design, a person will slouch and give the body forward, but if the user is working for an overly high product, then he will have to constantly raise his head.
Do not forget that the correct position means perfectly flat back, calm forearms and lack of extra stiffness in the shoulder area. You also need to remember that the legs should be placed on the floor and be bent at an angle of 90 degrees.
Height in centimeters
As a rule, in the manufacture of modern desks for the main indicator is taken as the average person growth of 175 cm.
Le Corbusier, the creator of the useful “modulator” system, believed that the height of such furniture should vary in terms of 70-80 cm, therefore the standard size is most often 75 cm (according to an average height of 175 cm, and female - 162 cm).
Such parameters can be relied upon by most standard-sized users, but in modern furniture stores one can also find non-standard options if the buyer has a more modest or, on the contrary, impressive growth.
In addition, the exact height of the structure can be found and calculated using a special simple formula that looks like this: height x 75: 175. So, if a person is 169 cm tall, the height of suitable furniture will be 72 cm.
If user settings are outside the standard frames, then You can choose a comfortable chair with adjustable height. However, in this case, we must not forget about the presence of a special stand for the feet. It is necessary so that the knees always remain bent at an angle of 90 degrees. However, it is possible to order a table according to individual sizes. As a rule, such furniture is more expensive than standard display cases, but having bought it, you will get the most convenient and suitable model for you.
If you want to choose a desk, the work behind which will be convenient and comfortable, then you need to consider not only its height, but also its ratio to the width of the table top.By this parameter is meant the distance from the left to the right edge.
In the smallest designs, the tabletop occupies no more than 60 cm. Of course, such furniture will become a real “salvation” for a small room, but still Experts recommend buying more roomy options.
Competently calculated product depth for an adult user is 25-60 cm.
The area on which the legs should be located should not be less than 52 cm. Identifying the width and height of the chair is considered important.
In accordance with the calculations Le Corbusier the most comfortable and optimal is the width of the seat, not exceeding the mark of 40 cm. As for the height, it should vary in 42-48 cm.
Modern manufacturers produce not only standard stationary type constructions, but also more thoughtful specimens, which can be adjusted at their discretion at any convenient time. Often, these models are bought for children's rooms, since they can "grow" together with the young user, without harming his health.
The essence of such models of tables lies in their ability to raise and lower the tabletop, thanks to special moving legs (as a rule, there are 4 of them).
In addition, the adjustable options are good because many of them have a function of changing the slope.
Due to such useful qualities, several households can use such furniture, since each person will be able to adjust the structure to his own parameters.
Such specimens today are represented by a rich assortment and are in great demand. They are made of a variety of materials, from cheap plastic to natural wood. There are also interesting options combined with a chair, the height of which can also be changed at its discretion. Otherwise, such models are called desks.
How to pick up?
Before you go to the store for the purchase of the table, it is necessary to decide which particular sample you need: a written one or a computer one. After that, the issue of the cost of furniture should be resolved. The price of the table will depend on the following important parameters:
- manufacture of the product. Of course, higher value will have options, released under well-known brands and major brands. However, such expenses are fully justified, since such products often serve for a long time and do not lose their attractiveness even after many years;
- material.Also, the cost of a desk is affected by the material from which it is made. The most inexpensive are models made of laminated chipboard, MDF and plastic, and the most reliable and expensive are structures made of solid wood;
- dimensions. As a rule, small desks are much cheaper than large options, since in the production process they spend less on raw materials;
- decorative items. Influences the price of the finished product and the presence in it of one or another accessories. The higher its quality and more interesting design, the more expensive the table will cost in general.
How to choose for a child?
The choice of a writing table for a child’s room should be approached with particular seriousness and caution so that improperly selected furniture does not have a negative effect on the growing spine. If you want to buy a really high-quality and safe model, then Try to follow some simple recommendations:
- The recommended width of the table top in the design for a child should be at least 100 cm;
- as for depth, it should vary from 60 to 80 cm;
- for the legs of the young user there should be a space of about 50x54 cm;
- It is recommended to purchase designs with a small footrest, located directly under the table top. If it is not provided by the manufacturer, then it should be purchased separately from the table;
- an important role in the selection of designs for the child plays and the difference between the height of the chair and the desk. This parameter should be 20-24 cm;
- going to the store for such furniture, experts recommend taking the child with him so that he can sit at the table before buying. At this point, you need to control his position: elbows and legs should be relaxed and not be in tension. As for the gap between the top of the table and the user's knees, it should be 10-15 cm;
- it is necessary to consider the distance of the upper part from the user's eyes. It should correspond to the gap between the elbow and the tips of the fingers;
- psychologists advise to take into account the taste preferences and desires of the child. In this case, you need to make sure that the tabletop of the product is sufficiently spacious and not too tight, otherwise it will not be very convenient to work with such a model;
- Experts do not recommend buying expensive desks for children's rooms. This is explained very simply: the child is unlikely to be able to keep an expensive model in its original, well-groomed form, without smearing its surface or accessories with paints, inks or felt-tip pens;
- one of the main roles is played by the safety and environmental friendliness of the materials from which the baby table was made. It is worth noting that in the composition of many plastic products there are toxic compounds that are harmful to health. When buying this furniture, you need to request a certificate of quality and make sure there are no such substances;
- The same applies to tables from chipboard. As part of this material there are also dangerous formaldehyde resins, so buying them for children's rooms is not recommended, despite the tempting low cost. It is better to select options from a safer chipboard class "e-1" or veneered material.
On how to choose the right desk for your child, see the following video.