Lamps for a bath in the steam room: the selection criteria
The lighting of the bath is different from what we have in an ordinary dwelling. The modern view of the arrangement of this room involves the consideration of two components: safety standards and aesthetic appeal. To understand how to choose a lamp in the bath, consider the basic criteria to which he must obey, as well as examine the nuances of each variety.
It is no secret that the bath is a place with a high degree of humidity. This is especially true of the steam room, where moisture rises and has a negative effect on switches, sockets and lights.For this reason, the lighting devices in the bath must be properly positioned, which is decided at the design stage.
There should be no socket or switch in the steam room. They are taken to a waiting room or other room with a lower moisture coefficient and connected at a height of at least 80 cm from the floor.
Consider the basic requirements for fixtures in the steam room, which should not be less than the established norms of IP-54. These devices will have to work in difficult conditions, marking in the form of a red IP-54 icon says about the safety of the lamp when operating in conditions of high humidity:
- IP means international protection;
- 5 - degree of protection against solid objects;
- 4 - protection against leakage of steam and moisture.
There are 4 main criteria to pay attention to.
- All components of the lighting device for the steam room must be heat-resistant. This means that they must withstand temperatures up to 120 degrees.
- The luminaire body must be airtight. This rule is especially important for devices that use incandescent lamps. Each lamp must have a closed cover.
- It is important that the cover of the device is durable. The design must withstand not only random mechanical effects. There is also a sharp temperature drop, which should not be reflected in the ceiling material.
- The brightness of the lamp should be moderate. Bath - a place to relax, there is no need to create a bright light. It is important that the glow was soft and diffuse.
Choice of housing and lamp power
The housing of the heat-resistant lighting device for the walls and ceiling of the steam room is different. If the luminaire is mounted in a wall, it must withstand a temperature of about 250 degrees. When the device is attached to the wall, it is enough to mark 100 degrees.
The material of the ceiling can be:
- heat resistant plastic.
It is necessary that the seal was made of rubber or silicone. So moisture can not get inside the ceiling.
Suspended lighting should not be used in the steam room - it is better to purchase lamps of the near surface type.
The maximum allowable power of light sources should not exceed 60-75 watts. If the power of the bulbs is greater, it will cause the ceiling to heat up. The recommended voltage is 12 V.To support it, you will need a transformer, which should be placed outside the steam room.
Principles of location
Installation of lamps for a bath in the steam room is subject to certain principles of placement.
- It is impossible to install lighting devices near the furnace, even taking into account the fact that the lamps are heat-resistant and waterproof. No device is designed for powerful steam stove.
- Avoid unnecessarily yellow and cold shade of the light flux. You can not equip the space with a large number of devices - it is harmful to the eyes and will create pressure on the retina.
- The location of the devices must be such that during any movement it cannot be touched by the head, hands, or broom.
- So that the device does not hit the eyes, it should be positioned so that it is behind the back or in the corner of the steam room.
- Ideal placement is the wall mounting of the lamp at a distance equal to half the height of the wall. So the load on the device will be less.
To date, lights for a steam room in a bath are classified according to the type of device and source of the lamp. Consider the types of models.
These devices are nothing more than classic lamps in closed ceiling lamps that are mounted on the wall or ceiling. The design is characterized by a concise form (often round), consists of a reliable and hermetic casing, as well as heat-resistant glass, mainly of matte type. These models have low cost, which makes them popular among buyers. In terms of functionality, they are reliable, but the decisive factor is the type of light source used under the ceiling. The design has no parts prone to corrosion under the influence of moisture, they are equipped with a special waterproof gasket. Models are subject to the established standard of protection.
These devices today are firmly in the top three most popular models, they have a lot of varieties. The main advantage of these devices is resistance to the effects of any temperature and moisture. Depending on the type of luminaire, it can even be mounted on the bottom of the pool, so this device is suitable for a bath much better than other varieties. The appearance of such devices depends on the desire of the buyer.
A distinctive feature of sealed devices is the presence of a special silicone film.that protects light sources. The dimensions of the LEDs can be different, which is reflected in the degree of intensity of the light flux. The presence of the film makes the light soft and diffused. The shape of LED lamps are point models, panels and flexible diode tape with different density of diodes per square meter.
These devices are glass fibers with light sources at the ends. Outwardly, they resemble a lamp in the form of a panicle with glowing ends. This illumination has a high degree of safety, since fiber optic fibers are able to withstand temperatures up to 200 degrees. They are not afraid of any extreme conditions, these lamps are durable, provide a pair of even and soft light.
The advantage of this lighting is the fact that it can be done independentlywithout the help of an expert from the outside. In this case, an important factor is the installation of the projector outside of moisture and heat (in another room), while the wires themselves can go out to the steam room, making, for example, a wall panel.Moreover, the greater the thickness of the beam, the more design possibilities (for example, you can recreate a starry sky with twinkling stars of different sizes).
Sources of light
By type of light sources, lamps are divided into several categories. Consider the basic, to understand their relevance in the steam room. Ignorance of these nuances can cause a dangerous situation.
These light sources are classic Ilyich bulbs. They have a filament, shine mostly warm light. The advantage is the price, but they have more disadvantages. They convert the main part of the consumed electricity into heat - a small part of it goes to light (no more than 5% of the total consumption). At the same time, the lamps and without the heat get so hot that touching them can cause a burn. They are uneconomical, they add heat to the ceiling, they are dangerous for the steam room. These include halogen lamps, whose properties are somewhat better.
These models are nothing more than the usual energy-saving light bulbs, which have a high price and are advertised as harmless.They are a luminous 11-watt gas-discharge tube that converts UV radiation into visible light with the help of a phosphor and discharge of mercury vapor. They are electroluminescent, with a cold cathode and a hot start, in the process they flicker and buzz. Their lifespan is longer than incandescent bulbs; compared with them, these varieties emit less carbon dioxide into the air and are unstable to voltage surges. In the process, mercury vapor is released into the room.
These light sources are considered to be harmless. Their price is not much different from fluorescent ones. At minimum power, they shine brightly enough, in fact, are energy-saving, do not contain mercury. The service life of such light sources is longer than any other analogues.
Their luminescence is directional, therefore it will not be possible to light all the space without shadow angles with one such lamp. However, if you use a tape lamp around the perimeter with two rows of diodes, you can achieve a steady steam room lighting. Due to the elasticity of the tape can be laid around the perimeter without the need for cutting.It is easy to fix, which allows you to perform angular lighting options.
How to choose?
Choosing a lamp for a bath in the steam room, you should pay attention to a few nuances, the knowledge of which will prolong the operation of the device and will not make you think about its safety.
- When choosing, give preference to a device with a matt fog fog light. With it, the glow will be soft and diffused.
- Do not use portable power supplies with mains power.
- Remove from the selection list daylight devices containing mercury. In addition to the fact that in the process of work they will release it into the air, in case of accidental impact, the concentration of toxins will be especially dangerous to health. If the temperature in the steam room is high, these light sources may burst.
- The class of sockets should not be less than IP 54, while the switch can be labeled up to IP 44, but not lower.
- It makes sense to buy fiber-optic lamps: they are safer than incandescent bulbs, have a pleasant light glow for the eyes.
- If the steam room and the washing room are combined, pay special attention to the safety of luminaires. If this device is attached to the wall, take care of an additional lampshade or shield.
- If the budget allows, stop your choice on models with touch motion sensors.
- In addition to wall lighting, you may need emergency lighting. In this case, LED tape will be the best solution.
In addition, do not forget the 4 golden rules of purchase:
- You need to buy lamps and fixtures in a reputable store with a good reputation;
- This product can not be made from cheap raw materials;
- if possible, check the operation of the lamps in the store;
- Do not take goods at a discount - this is the first sign of marriage.
Mount the lighting in the steam room with their own hands under the power of each head of the family. To do it yourself correctly, you should take care of the preliminary scheme in the form of a wiring drawing, which indicate the location of the lamps. In addition, it is important to purchase a wire with the desired cross section, which depends on the number of lamps. It is necessary to carry out a load calculation and study the organization of grounding.
Consider a brief step by step instructions for installing the backlight in the bath.
- The location of the lamp is marked with a cross. If you plan to install two devices, they should be symmetrical.
- Power supply is carried out by means of a three-core wire, packed in a protective corrugation.
- Laying is performed away from the mortise lighting, to eliminate the melting of the wires in the process of working lamps, fixing the wire to the crate or frame with special clips.
- When applying power to a group of lighting devices, the cable is put in a loop with loops. If you plan to install devices with small mounting caps, you should use a single wire running from the junction box.
- It is necessary to check the wiring, for which use the lamp holder and the wire. Do not rely on a phase tester: it will not show a zero loss. If the result is positive, the stripped ends of the wires must be insulated.
- After the wiring is performed, the wall cladding is performed while simultaneously cutting out the holes for the lamps. The diameter of the required hole is indicated in the passport of the specific product. To do this, perform the markup, then use a drill or screwdriver.
- If the model is of surface type, the mounting plate is fastened with dowels, avoiding contact with the wire.After make the power connection, observing the polarity. Then the lamp is fixed with screws.
- For mounting the mortise model, the loops are cut from the wire, after which the two resulting cable ends are connected to the ceramic cartridge by twisting, trying to make ends at the bottom of the screws under the terminal block. In this case, one can not do without winding it with tape.
- In case the lamp power is 12 W, it is necessary to add a step-down transformer to the circuit. Do it through the hole for the lamp, having a transformer to 1 device (so it will be easier to change if necessary).
- Since the devices are mounted without lamps, at this stage it is necessary to check their operation.
- It remains to close the cover and check the differential if there are several lamps.
When conducting light into the steam room, flax cannot be used as a seal of the plafond: it expands under the action of moisture and contributes to condensation in the lamp holder.
Visually about connecting electrical wiring in the bath, see the following video.
Having studied the main criteria for choosing a luminaire for a steam room and installation techniques, the question arises of choosing a particular brand with a good reputation.On the modern market are many models.
Especially popular products are products of Turkish and Finnish manufacturers. For example, Finnish trademarks. Tylo and Harvia offer to attention of buyers specialized moisture-proof models for baths.
These products are characterized by high cost, which is justified by high-quality performance characteristics. Models of the brands have a body of metal and wood, can be equipped with a plastic lens. They are safe, which increases their rating in its segment.
In addition to these companies, products are in demand. Linder, steinel. However, according to reviews, these models, although heat-resistant, and provided with protection against moisture, in fact, do not differ in moisture resistance. You can also look at the company's products TDM Electric.
To assess the possibilities of design approach to the design of lighting in the steam room, you can refer to examples of photo galleries.
- Acceptance of the use of protrusion under the fiber-optic lighting with the transition from wall to ceiling.
- Illumination around the perimeter of the ceiling with a tape luminaire with color change and fiber-optic threads create the desired mood and original look of the sauna.
- An example of the use of LED backlight with additional wall lighting in the form of symmetrical lamps, closed by gratings.
- Using spotlights and fiber optic strands creates a stylish combination of steam room lighting. The use of adjacent walls in combination with a simple pattern created by the light, looks unusual.
- The use of point, linear and built-in lamps creates a special effect, immersing household members in an atmosphere of relaxation.
- The use of point illumination around the perimeter of a broken ceiling design will allow to equalize the degree of illumination of the steam room.
- Combined lighting using LED strip RGB type with multi-colored LEDs and a wall lamp allows you to create a special atmosphere in the steam room.
- Powerful lamps in the corners above the benches for seating are completely safe: they are equipped with bars in the same style with the wall decor.
- An example of a closed wall lighting linear type: due to the wooden slats the lamps are protected from accidental mechanical damage.
- Receiving the location of lamps in the corners of the steam room creates a relaxing atmosphere: soft and warm light does not hit the eyes, allowing homeowners to relax to the maximum extent.
Learn how to save on buying a lamp for a bath, you can from the following video.