Lights above the bathroom mirror: selection criteria and design ideas
In the age of modern technology, each person seeks to equip his home with the latest technology. This is reflected in the choice of fixtures. For example, lights for bathroom mirrors have their own characteristics. Not every buyer knows that their purchase and choice is fraught with certain difficulties.
Luminaires fixed above the mirror are included in the line of separate lighting devices. Their purpose is to highlight a specific area. In conditions of high humidity they have special requirements. Characteristics may vary depending on the type of bathroom.
For example, the bathroom meter value matters. Sometimes a large room is allocated for it when designing. This is reflected in the size of the mirrors, their quantity, the necessary power to create the desired amount of light. For the same reason, changing the height of the lamp.
Most models of luminaires used to illuminate the mirrors are developments on new technologies. They are distinguished by ergonomics, stylish design and functionality.
Others are more like decorative items. Selection criteria are several requirements:
- distance from the hazardous (water) zone;
- the presence of protective (closed) ceiling;
- safety of used light sources;
- Anticorrosive type of material used.
Each type of bathroom lamp should be airtight, heat-resistant and waterproof. To place the device above the mirror, you can use only lamps with markings 1-IP65 and 2-IP44. These are 2 classes of protection against splashes, moisture, hot steam, and electric shock. In addition, lighting devices should not cause discomfort by their placement.A mandatory requirement for them is strength, as well as the correct choice of the shade of the glow.
They are hung in such a way that:
- illuminate most of the mirror;
- enable the user to perform the necessary procedures (apply makeup, cream, shave);
- clearly identify a separate functional area.
Sources of light
Of all the variety of fixtures offered by trademarks, the LED look is worth buying. It was he who today supplanted incandescent bulbs, halogen bulbs and fluorescent. Unlike other light sources, diodes do not have mercury in their composition; therefore, during operation, lamps do not emit toxins into the air.
Drawing a parallel with other light bulbs, it can be noted that the LEDs:
- shine brightly with a small lamp size;
- consume a minimum of power (economical);
- almost all power consumption is converted to light, so it does not heat up;
- often have closed ceiling and moisture protection;
- resistant to surges, do not flicker;
- do not make buzzing sounds;
- able to reproduce the shade of daylight;
- designed for long life.
Some types of such devices can even be used in a bath due to a special silicone coating. Filament for the bathroom is not suitable as fluorescent (energy-saving) counterparts. The first heat, the second emit mercury vapor into the air. Perhaps only halogen types of lamps can be used other than LED.
Advantages and disadvantages
Modern lighting devices for illuminating bathroom mirrors have many advantages:
- Due to the use of modern materials, they are of high quality and durability.
- They are aesthetically appealing. The buyer has the possibility of a composite design of the washroom.
- Such lamps are universal and are combined with different devices for central lighting.
- They are compact. Modern lamps above the mirror do not take up much space, while giving the desired level of luminous flux for the selected zone.
- These devices are variable in the choice of temperature of the light flux. You can always choose a shade that does not create eye strain.
- This placement, coupled with the desired shade of light visually increase the height of the walls.
- These devices can be part of the design composition.With their help, you can decorate the space around the mirror.
- They can be used to highlight multiple mirrors. Such a reception is possible in a spacious bathroom, which allows the placement of two sinks, showers and bathtubs.
- The range of fixtures for placement above the mirror is extensive. The buyer always has the opportunity to choose them, taking into account the budget and taste preferences.
They have such devices and their disadvantages:
- Such products are used in quantities of several pieces at a time. The total price of the issue can be noticeable for a simple inhabitant.
- Not in each specific case with their help high-quality mirror illumination is possible.
- Some models do not have a tilt angle adjustment. In addition, other types of lamps have open ceiling.
- Lighting is not always convenient for the eyes. When the light falls on the reflective surface, it prevents the application of high-quality makeup, creates discomfort when shaving.
- By itself, such lighting is not able to fill the entire room with light in the right amount. Whatever the power, without a central lamp is often not enough.
All types of fixtures used to illuminate the bathroom mirror, can be divided into 3 types:
- half cut;
In fact, these are models of built-in ceiling and traditional wall-type on the sconce principle. The line of the used backlight includes spots, often with an adjustment system, as well as spotlight spotlights. These are small lamps. The first is mounted to the wall, the second is built into it. Rarely used for lighting suspension models.
A distinctive feature of such devices is the frequent layout of several identical devices. This is done for the reason that they use a modern type of lamp that shines directionally. Since it cannot gently diffuse the light in different directions, the lack of illumination of one of the corners has to be removed by adding several elements. Otherwise there will be dark spots in this functional area.
Some lamps have reflectors, others due to the design of the ceiling looking at the ceiling. This directs the light from the mirror, its illumination decreases. In this case, the classic is the version with two lights. The ideal choice is LED type lamps.
How to choose?
To choose a lamp in the bathroom that will be functional, safe,durable and aesthetically attractive, you need to take into account a few nuances.
- No open ceiling, even if the model is beautiful, should not be. A bathroom is not a bedroom or a living room: safety is appreciated here. Models with side protection grilles are allowed.
- Matt fog lamps are preferred. The light will not hit in the eyes, reflected in the highlights of the mirror.
- The selected class of outlet should not be less than IP54, and the switch may be marked not lower than IP44.
- You can not buy lamps with mercury. If the lamp is accidentally broken, the concentration of toxic substances will cause poisoning of the body.
- Lamps above the mirror with color filters or lamps are undesirable. They distort the tone of the image and reduce the clarity of the glow.
- You can buy a LED strip with silicone protection or spotlight with halogen lamps to illuminate the mirror.
- Purchase should be carried out in a verified store or from an official supplier with the available documentation. Otherwise, there is a high risk of acquiring a fake.
- Luminaire power is calculated from the formula 200 Lm per 1 sq. Km. m. With a dark color design bathroom intensity should be increased by 50 lm.
- No doubt, it is worth making a choice in favor of LED models of the closed type.The LEDs are harmless, with protection applicable even in a children's bath or pool.
Where to place?
It is not enough to buy a beautiful lamp to illuminate the mirror: you need to install it correctly. Super-mirror lighting alone can distort the image. To focus the flow of light in the center of the mirror, you can choose the models that should be mounted above and below the mirror. However, if other options are not possible, it is advisable to separate the lighting devices and fasten them on both sides of the mirror on each side from above.
This placement of the backlight is more harmonious, however, there is a nuance here. The light source must not be perpendicular to the reflecting surface. Requires a small angle. This will avoid glare, creating discomfort for the eyes when looking in the mirror. For the same reason, it is undesirable to connect a mirror luminaire to the main line.
The shape of the mirror matters. For example, if it is not wide, two lamps on both sides above the canvas are appropriate. But if the mirror sheet is wide enough, it is necessary to light it with a long lamp with a luminous flux falling down. For better lighting, three devices are usually used on the same line, trying to highlight the main (central) zone.
The minimum distance between the luminaire, the switch and the hazardous water area is 60 cm. The minimum height from the floor to the device should be 2.2 m. If these are built-in spotlights, they are placed on the ceiling. In some apartments, the ceilings are low, so the luminaire will be located at a height of 2.3 m. If the ceiling is above 2.5 m, it is recommended to fix the appliances on the wall.
How to install?
Installing a lamp in the bathroom above the mirror does not take much time. Initially, a drawing is prepared, on which the subtleties of the project are applied, taking into account the chosen model and wall covering. After proceeding to the installation.
Stages of work:
- De-energize the cable, turn off the electricity.
- They make unpacking and disassembling of the illuminant, for which they use the instructions of the manufacturer's brand, available in the configuration.
- Along the way, check the ceiling, unscrew the mounting bar, opening the wires.
- The fixing point of the lamp is marked on the wall with a pencil or marker.
- Go to the installation process. On the body of the lamp find the hole, put it on the wall, mark the place of fixing the mounting bar.
- Drill holes with a drill or punch.
- Insert the fasteners into the holes, fasten the mounting bar.
- The wires from the wall are connected first to the terminal block, then to the wiring from the sconce. Each color is combined with the same.
- Screw the light fixture itself. During the installation process, one should not forget about shortening the power cable and removing the protective film. It is necessary to strip the insulation and connect the wires.
- After fixing the luminaire to the mounting plate, you must fix the ceiling.
- Then they remove the fastening rings, put on the covers and fix them with rings.
- It remains to screw the light bulb and check the operation of the device.
The best options
Today, trends are moving away from stereotypes. In the center of attention is the novelty, products with a chrome surface and a frosted canopy. Its shade is predominantly white, which eliminates the distortion of the tone of the glow. Just the simple models create the right atmosphere, maintain a certain style.
Even in the classical directions, where elements of palace luxury are needed, lamps do not scream with pomp. For example, it may be a wall model in the form of a sconce with a leg bent up and a small canopy in the form of a closed floor lamp. In this case, the model will combine the form and forging, which will allow to transfer the attributes of the classics.
If we look at modern trends, lamps of the subsurface type of a strict geometric form are in fashion. It can be devices-cylinders, circles, square panels, spherical or semicircular shapes. For minimalist design trends, simplicity and functionality are important. Here the appearance should be as simple as possible.
If we talk about creative interior compositions, the situation is different. Above the mirror you can hang an imitation of a street lamp, a product in the form of a metal pipe with spots attached to it. An interesting solution would be an imitation of communication systems. However, these solutions are appropriate only in spacious bathrooms.
The main condition for their admissibility is the remoteness of the space with a sink and a mirror from the bath.
- It is better to understand how modern illumination of a mirror with lamps looks like, examples of photo galleries will help.
- The original technique of using lamps in the form of street lamps.
- This technique will appreciate the lovers of creativity. Lamps above the mirror on both sides fit into the unusual design of the bathroom.
- The use of built-in lighting above a large mirror sheet allows you to light it evenly.
- Using the built-in ribbon illumination above the mirror besides the main internal one looks harmoniously.
- Suspended lighting allows you to choose the length of the location of the lamps. Such models stand out against a brick wall.
- An interesting solution to the design of mirrors. The use of identical instruments creates the illusion of an ensemble.
- An example of the use of lamps above the mirrors in a niche. Simple, original and tasteful.
This video is about how to make a stylish lamp for the mirror in the bathroom.