Natural insulation: the advantages and disadvantages of flax insulation
Now the majority of buyers prefer environmental building materials, that is, those made from natural products. This also applies to insulation. In addition to the usual synthetic options, you can find on the market and high-quality natural insulation, among which stands out flax.
Insulation made of flax, today is considered the best material for thermal insulation. It is not only environmentally friendly and harmless, but also very light. In addition to this, it is easy to fix.
It consists of a heater of hemp, wood and flax fiber.Very thin fibers of this material are interconnected with the help of polyester. It can also be a natural substance, such as starch.
Linen insulation materials have been produced worldwide for over ten years. In the domestic market, this material appeared relatively recently, but already also managed to gain popularity. Eco-friendly material can be used for insulation of the roof of ceilings, walls and even for frame houses. It can also be used to soundproof partitions.
Natural insulation suitable for any designs. Its high price can be compensated by saving on heating.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like any material, flax-based insulation has both advantages and disadvantages.
Linen insulation is very popular in the construction industry.
Its reason lies in the fact that flax has the following advantages:
- since the composition of the insulation includes natural natural ingredients, it is safe for the health of any person. The composition of the insulation does not include any chemical additives, which is why it does not cause allergies.Linen insulation can easily compete with mineral wool;
- this insulation is fireproof, as flax fibers do not ignite;
- It has a long service life. The reason for durability lies in the components of the primary raw materials, because in synthetic heat insulators use secondary materials, as well as organic additives. They lead to the rapid sedimentation of the material and the loss of its original shape;
- It is also very resistant to the appearance of bacteria and mold, because it naturally has antiseptic properties. The fact is that the production uses such technologies that kill all microorganisms in the primary raw material;
- Linen insulation has a very good thermal insulation quality, as it has a low thermal conductivity. He is not afraid of changes in temperature, is not prone to deformation;
- it also has excellent sound insulation qualities, which is an additional advantage;
- Linen insulation has a good vapor permeability, which prevents condensation of moisture and mold;
- it has a small weight, which is good for the construction of buildings, because the load is almost minimal;
- Such material is easy to use, it can be installed even without making additional fasteners. Since flax fibers are not hazardous to health, installation work can be done without working clothes.
Such insulation has practically no disadvantages. The only minus and at the same time the reason why many people do not use this method of insulation is the high price. And also plates of a heater need to be processed fireproof and moisture resistant structures, which further increases the final cost of repair work.
There are several types of linen insulation that can be distinguished depending on what kind of raw materials they are made of and what is their structure.
- Felt tape. The material consists of fiber flax. After collecting the fibers are treated in such a way that they are obtained in different lengths. Then, they are sorted using a carding machine. The fibers used for ribbon felt must be long, all the others go to make construction tow or tile material. Linen insulation is considered the most environmentally friendly and harmless material.It is very easy to use and its installation does not require special knowledge and skills, as well as all installation work can be carried out at any time of the year. Flax insulation does not mold and does not attract birds.
- Lnovatin. Such eco-material is made on a carding machine using needle-sewing technology. A layer of catonin is stitched with a nylon or cotton thread. However, lnovatin has a lower density than felt, so it is better to lay in two layers.
- Flax insulation in slabs. This material is a sheet having an increased density. They sheathe the walls of houses, different partitions, even roofs. But most often it is used for warming frame houses, because thermal insulation materials make it possible for walls to breathe.
- Flax tow. This natural material is an example of a variety of flax insulation. With its help, construction processes are greatly accelerated, since installation work is easy and simple. Tow is one of the mezhventsovyh insulation. However, it can also be used for thermal insulation of doorways and windows, or as an additional means for sealing joints between sheets of insulation, which is the main one.
But this heater is very fond of birds, who arrange themselves in the soft fibers of the nest of flax, so the houses should be built very quickly. This heater has a small price and variety of sizes.
- Len jute. This organic insulation is a combination of two types of raw materials - it is jute and flax. These components are in equal proportions, but some manufacturers make insulation with a predominance of one or another component. In flax jute, all the qualities of the materials from which they are made are combined, and also it is characterized by durability and elasticity.
Of all the options you can choose any. The main thing is to know where and under what conditions it is used.
How to choose?
Making the choice of insulation for the home, it is necessary to take into account all its advantages and disadvantages, because the future comfortable living will depend on it.
First you need to pay attention to some parameters that play an important role in choosing insulation, such as:
- plays an important role raw materials, which is part of the insulation. The first thing you need to pay attention to the material, which is made from short fibers and tow flax. It is obtained from combed long strings;
- You need to pay attention to the fact that the material does not have any other impurities, because they only worsen its appearance, as well as reduce its operational life. Impurities do not give insulation of such density, which is necessary for walls;
- buying flax insulation, you need to pay attention to what is the ratio of its density and thickness. However, it is important to consider the purpose of insulation. If the work will be carried out inside a house made of profiled timber, then its thickness should be up to three millimeters, but the density should be up to 300 g / m². For interior work in a house of rounded logs, the thickness of the material should be five millimeters, and the density - 500 g / m². If a log house is used from a bar, then a 10 mm wide insulation with a density of up to 800 g / m² will be suitable for its finishing;
- the density of the material must be uniform, since the seams must be sealed in exactly the same way;
- when making a choice between rolled linen and tow, you need to pay attention to where the material will be applied. For example, flax is in rolls of different widths, so it is very convenient to use it for insulation from inside walls, floors, ceilings, partitions, even roofing structures. But its price is very high.Flax tow is much cheaper, it is produced with a tape that is fifteen centimeters wide. And it also has a loose and flexible structure, which allows it to both compress and stretch if necessary. Tow is suitable for sealing gaps in windows and doorways;
- choosing ecowool, you need to know that this is the safest insulation of cellulose. It has eighty-one percent of processed wood, the remaining nineteen percent are antiseptics.
Before you begin installation work with a flax insulation material, you first need to make all the necessary measurements.
If the installation is done on the floor or in the roofing part of the structure, you need to take into account that the insulation will be of high quality only if the width of the insulation itself is greater than the distance between the lags or beams by twenty millimeters. In that case, if the width of the plate corresponds to this indicator, the installation can be carried out even without using fasteners.
When all the work on the measurements will be completed, then this eco-friendly insulation can be cut into the desired fragments. This process is easy, as flax does not break or crumble when cut, and also retains the desired shape.
When working with linen insulation there is no need to wear workwear. Cut the insulation is best with a band saw or electric hacksaw.
Thin sheets of insulation can be cut even with ordinary scissors. They can even not be removed from the packaging in order to make it more convenient, it is better to just put on the stand. As a result, the edge will turn out beautiful and neat.
Insulation must be fixed on the surface. This can be done even without special fastening. For this thermal insulation must be placed between the rafters or lags. but if the surface is sloped, then the material needs to be closed with an additional crate. It will allow moisture to erode. It is better to mount some fragments of a heater end-to-end. At the same time, additional joints are not required.
The last stage of installation of insulation is vapor barrier. If the room is dry, then this stage disappears by itself. When a building is exposed to very high humidity, a layer of insulation must be protected by a vapor-permeable membrane.
Sheets of vapor barrier must be installed overlap to ten centimeters, and the joints must be glued with very dense tape.For work in the bath you need to use a foil vapor barrier.
Among manufacturers of insulation large gained popularity such natural material as "Termolen". It possesses high qualities of thermal insulation and consists of flax for one hundred percent.
It has properties that give it the opportunity to stand out among its competitors. First of all, it is environmental friendliness, because there are no harmful substances, no glue, as well as dust in the Thermolen insulation. It is hypoallergenic, which means it is ideal for laying even in those homes where children live.
The material has a long life. The structure of the insulation is unique because it consists of tubular fibers of thermal insulation. They easily give off excess moisture, while not losing their insulating properties.
It has a very high coefficient of thermal protection, and also perfectly regulates heat. In the cold season it gives extra warmth, and in summertime it creates a comfortable coolness in the room.
When buying such a modern heater, it is imperative to require a certificate of quality that can confirm all its characteristics.
To date, the choice of insulators is very large. However, you should not hurry with the purchase. It is better to choose natural insulation from flax, which have many advantages. And although their price is quite high, it is still worth buying just high-quality linen material for warming the room to take care of your health.
For information on what other types of extenders you can use, see the following video.