Selection of corrugations for hoods
At present, when designing kitchen premises, it is rather difficult to do without modern exhaust systems. Ventilation ducts promote optimal air circulation, absorb steam and various combustion products, which prevents contamination of the surrounding space and accumulation of fat on household appliances and other kitchen furniture.
Corrugation is a complex of rings covered with protective material. The components of such a pipe are pressed to each other, and the upper layer is composed of "accordion". This allows the corrugated pipe to stretch in length, exceeding the size when folded several times. Due to the lack of a rigid frame, the structure can bend at almost any angle, which allows its use when mounting in hard-to-reach places and very cramped conditions.
The appearance of such corrugated pipes also had a positive effect on the quality of execution of the works themselves.that provide an optimal indoor climate. Previously used rigid air duct structures with individual parameters separately for each room, which had to be ordered in special companies. It turned out very expensive, not everyone could afford to purchase such devices.
The advantages of using corrugated pipes in ventilation systems include the following properties:
- long service life;
- simplified installation work;
- availability to purchase;
- wide range of sizes;
- the ease of the design itself;
- resistance to high temperatures, which eliminates the risk of fire;
- optimal aerodynamic performance.
If we talk about the shortcomings, then these include the following points:
- to clean a pipe with a corrugated surface is quite difficult;
- not very presentable appearance that requires masking corrugations;
- Aluminum corrugated tubes can lose their original shape during installation because of the softness of the material, have a high noise level during operation of the exhaust system.
The main technical characteristics (parameters) of corrugated pipes are their actual dimensions, such as the diameter of the cross section and the length of the structure, which is determined directly by the producing plant. It can correspond to the standard size or be sold in bays from 20 to 100 m.
The choice of the diameter is directly affected by the power of the device itself.
The most common corrugated pipes have the following parameters:
- 100 mm;
- 120 mm;
- 125 mm;
- 150 mm.
You can find out which diameter should be chosen from the passport or instructions on the hood, where recommendations are given for the section. It is necessary to take into account that a corrugated duct of a smaller diameter is absolutely impossible to take, more is possible. But in this case, you need to additionally take the adapter in order to avoid a situation where the pipe will not be able to dock with the neck.
It should also be noted that the length of the corrugations is chosen according to the size in a stretched form, since the installation is done this way, and it is sold in a compressed form. Since part of the length always goes to bend formation, the pipe is acquired with a margin of 0.5 m for every 2-3 straight turns.
It is acceptable to use the option of frame corrugations with foil-coated coating, but this option is highly undesirable. Despite the fact that this option is much cheaper, foil is a fragile material that can be easily damaged and pierced. A very thin foil has the ability to constantly publish rustling, even if the hood is in the off state.
It is recommended to ask the employees of specialized stores for a certificate of quality for the goods being purchased. This will prevent the possibility of buying goods from questionable manufacturers who do not have any accompanying documents and may be holed up. The gaps usually have microscopic dimensions, because they are difficult to detect before the process starts.
When making a purchase, you need to check whether the purchased kitchen exhaust system has a non-return valve already built into it, if not - you must additionally take it.
The type of room where you plan to install the duct, directly depends the choice of corrugated tubes, namely the shape of its cross section, which are:
- rectangular or square;
- round or flat (oval).
A corrugated pipe with a rectangular (square) section usually finds application in various enterprises and factories, serves as a good option for arranging ventilation systems of various technical and storage facilities, as well as common areas. The diameter of the cross section of such pipes is much larger than rounded ones.
For home use, in particular, when arranging a kitchen ventilation system, a corrugated pipe of exactly round shape would be the best option; usually white PVC is taken. It is much easier to install on your own, and its cost is much less than rectangular.
Corrugated air ducts differ not only in their form, but also in the method of their manufacture.
They are divided by this criterion into two main types:
- spiral wound corrugated tubes.
The first type is a base of metal rings and stretched aluminum foil or polymer film. Such pipes tend to take their original appearance and prevent deformation after stretching to full length, and therefore they are considered the most flexible.
Spiral ducts are made mostly from galvanized or stainless steel, aluminum.This type of construction has a higher cost compared to corrugated pipes of the first type (frame). They are half flexible due to the fact that they can provide a stretch of two or three times, but do not have the property to return to its original state. Deformation will remain inevitable, even if efforts are made to give this duct the necessary shape.
Some manufacturers offer flexible corrugated pipes with or without thermal insulation. Endowing the structure with thermal insulation properties helps to significantly expand the scope of such ducts. For example, when using four-layer flexible corrugated pipes, it becomes possible to lay ventilation ducts not only indoors, but also outside.
In practice, corrugated pipes from the following materials are used:
- stainless steel;
- galvanized steel;
- low or high pressure polyethylene;
- polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
The type of material from which the duct is made, directly affects the area of its application.
- For example, pipes made of textiles are used during the wire communication systems in industrial premises, as they contribute to a sufficiently high speed of air circulation. This factor causes the use of textile corrugated pipes in catering and meat processing plants. Such structures are easy to dismantle, clean and disinfect.
- Air ducts made from polyvinyl chloride or PVC-corrugated tubes are mainly used for arranging ventilation ducts in homes and industrial facilities. Here mineral fillers are used to ensure maximum sound insulation.
- Most often for arranging the kitchen hood take corrugated pipes made of stainless steel, galvanized steel or aluminum. Less commonly used options are plastic.
- Aluminum corrugated pipe has a frame of medium hardness and a rather small weight. It is used both outside the premises and inside them. It has grooves for fastening, which are absent in cheaper options. The advantages of installing pipes of this material include durability during operation and resistance to virtually anyweather conditions. But there are also minor flaws: the vibration of the pipe during operation and the formation of noise.
- The next option is a flexible pipe with a metal wire frame with foil wrapped around it. The duration of operation and the quality of such duct is directly affected by the thickness of the outer layer. It is used only in everyday life, as it can withstand light loads. The advantages include flexibility and the most affordable price, the disadvantages are the low level of safety and practicality.
- Corrugated galvanized steel pipes usually last a very long time (over 20 years). Pipes can be with a polymeric covering or without it. The polymer layer protects the inner or outer part of the pipe, also this option provides the possibility of choosing the color design and harmoniously fits into any interior. The advantages of using galvanized ventilation channels include high strength, long service life even with strong heating (over 70 degrees), absolute incombustibility, a choice of colors, minimal network resistance. The disadvantage is the lack of components that serve to fasten several pipes to each other. You have to use tools like pliers or nippers.
- Plastic corrugated pipe is the most budget and optimal option for simple installation work in a residential area. But this material has several significant drawbacks: a very high degree of flammability (in case of a fire acrid smoke will be emitted, which will lead to poisoning by toxic and toxic substances), greater vulnerability and degradability, the release of unpleasant odor due to the presence of formaldehyde. The advantages include low cost of the finished product, ease of installation work, minimal network resistance.
Installation and connection
Installation of a corrugated pipe is made in several stages.
- It is necessary to develop a detailed scheme for installing the hood. At this stage, it is worth considering all the features of the kitchen room, the location of the furniture compartments, determining the place for the ventilation duct and making a plan for its installation. After that, calculate the required number of pipes, grids and fasteners.
- Carefully check the length of all components. In accordance with the drawn scheme and the selected parameters to prepare the sleeves for installation work.The corrugated pipe can be made shorter with ordinary scissors or a hacksaw.
- Install a universal gearbox on the exhaust neck. This device is required for mounting corrugated pipes of different diameters.
- Connect the corrugated pipe with the hood. Lubricate the edges of the hood with a sealant. Secure the pipe and then the clamp with a screw and screwdriver.
- Attach the corrugated pipe to the wall using brackets with clamps. Clamps are mounted at a distance of 1 m from each other throughout the entire length of the duct.
- To put on a ventilating lattice on an opening of mine and to fix self-tapping screws.
- Connect the air duct to the grille. Apply sealant to the bell of the grille and put on the mouth of the duct. Secure with a hose clamp.
- Connect the hood to the mains and check the quality of the functioning of the entire system.
- Disguise the corrugated pipe, if necessary.
In that case, if the exhaust system is located quite far from the vent hole, it is recommended to hide the corrugated pipe behind the stretch ceiling. This option will help avoid the formation of too sharp corners and hide the duct from prying eyes.
If you do not plan to install a suspended ceiling in the kitchen, you can hide the duct in the following ways:
- close the pipe with doors of wall cabinets;
- mount the duct behind the drywall construction;
- close with a decorative box or other element in accordance with the interior of the kitchen room.
Before the start of the installation work, it is recommended to clean the ventilation in the apartment itself and to determine if there is a draft. To verify this fact, you need to attach a regular sheet of paper to the vent. In the event that he keeps himself without outside help, the craving is present.
It is also important to establish the most appropriate performance of the kitchen hood, which is very easy to check with a special device - an anemometer built into the base of the corrugated pipe.
And finally - do not forget about the elementary rules of fire safety. It is necessary to strictly adhere to the operating instructions of the selected equipment and to be careful of moisture ingress to the surface of the exhaust system during fan operation.
It is extremely undesirable to carry out the following actions:
- touch the metal surface of the hood or corrugated foil-coated pipe with wet hands;
- use detergents when cleaning the duct;
- install a corrugated pipe near gas and electric stoves or a fireplace;
- fix the duct near the wiring.
Thus, virtually everyone can cope with the installation of a corrugated pipe, just need to choose the right parameters (length and diameter), the shape and material of the duct, and also take into account the features of the interior of the kitchen room.
Video review duct for kitchen hood, see the video below.